These days, it’s nearly impossible to turn on your television, listen to the radio or search the internet without seeing an ad for auto insurance. And every company seems to push the same message: “Switch to us and you could save money on your car insurance.”
We all know that price is an important factor when it comes to choosing an auto insurer. But making price your only consideration could leave you short on coverage when you need it most.
Here are 7 things you should consider when comparing auto insurance quotes:
- Coverage. When purchasing an auto insurance policy, you’ll have a wide range of coverage options to choose from. Basic bodily injury and property damage liability coverage is typically required by state law. Some additional coverages like collision, comprehensive and uninsured motorist insurance may also be required by state law. If they’re not, they’re available to provide added levels of protection. The coverages and the corresponding limit for each coverage you select have an impact on your policy premium. So before you compare the price of two insurance quotes, always make sure the coverage and limits are the same.
- Options. When it comes to insurance coverage, not all policies are created equal. A little research on an insurance carrier could uncover benefits you may not find elsewhere. For example, an auto policy from Erie Insurance includes extra coverages for pets, personal items and locksmiths at no additional charge to you. And coverage options like Roadside Service1 can be added to your policy for a few extra dollars each month.
- Deductibles. Your deductible is the amount you’ll choose to pay out of pocket to fix your car before your insurance coverage starts to pay. Generally, the higher your deductible is, the lower your premium will be. When choosing a deductible, consider your budget – then get multiple quotes to see if the savings is worth the risk. Consider options like our ERIE Auto Plus® endorsement, which offers a Diminishing Deductible2 (reducing your deductible by $100 for each claim-free year).
- Reputation. In the event of an accident, you want to be confident that your claim will be handled quickly, fairly and efficiently. So it pays to choose an insurance company with a reputation for excellent customer service. We were named to Forbes Best Insurance Companies list, ranking us in the top 2% of insurance companies. And while we don’t do it for the awards, we’re honored by the recognition.
- Service. Insurance can be complicated. That’s why every ERIE policy comes with your very own local,independent insurance agent. With an agent, you get the personal attention you deserve from a professional who’s committed to understanding your unique insurance needs. And because our agents are independent, they’ll only recommend an ERIE policy if it’s a good fit for you.
- Discounts. Researching available discounts can unlock extra savings from your auto insurance quote. With ERIE a typical multi-policy discount3 is up to 20% (depending on your state). And we also offer discounts for things like safe driving, car safety equipment, multiple cars, young drivers and making annual payments.
- Price. After considering the factors above, it’s time to compare the price of your coverage. Getting multiple quotes allows you to rest easy knowing the value you receive from an insurer is worth the policy premiums. ERIE can help you avoid car insurance rate increases with our ERIE Rate Lock® feature.4 Even if you have a claim, your rates won’t change until you make certain changes to your auto insurance policy, such as adding or removing a vehicle or a driver from your policy or changing where your vehicle is garaged.
Deductibles, coverage limits, endorsements. There are so many choices. But you don’t need to know everything about auto insurance – that’s our job. At Erie Insurance, our local, experienced agents can help you get the right coverage for your car and your budget. And if something bad ever happens, we’ll make sure you’re back on your way, right away. Contact us today to experience the difference yourself.
ERIE® insurance products and services are provided by one or more of the following insurers: Erie Insurance Exchange, Erie Insurance Company, Erie Insurance Property & Casualty Company, Flagship City Insurance Company and Erie Family Life Insurance Company (home offices: Erie, Pennsylvania) or Erie Insurance Company of New York (home office: Rochester, New York). The companies within the Erie Insurance Group are not licensed to operate in all states. Refer to the company licensure and states of operation information.
The insurance products and rates, if applicable, described in this blog are in effect as of July 2022 and may be changed at any time.
Insurance products are subject to terms, conditions and exclusions not described in this blog. The policy contains the specific details of the coverages, terms, conditions and exclusions.
The insurance products and services described in this blog are not offered in all states. ERIE life insurance and annuity products are not available in New York. ERIE Medicare supplement products are not available in the District of Columbia or New York. ERIE long term care products are not available in the District of Columbia and New York.
Eligibility will be determined at the time of application based upon applicable underwriting guidelines and rules in effect at that time.
Your ERIE agent can offer you practical guidance and answer questions you may have before you buy.
A better insurance experience starts with ERIE.
Haven’t heard of us? Erie Insurance started with humble beginnings in 1925 with a mission to emphasize customer service above all else. Though we’ve grown to reach the Fortune 500 list, we still haven’t lost the human touch.
Contact Valley Insurance Group today to experience the ERIE difference for yourself.